Given that the project dealt with construction modifications of an existing building registered in the register of immovable cultural monuments, the urban solution remained existing/without intervention. The free-standing building, originally a Renaissance castle, is surrounded by smaller buildings of an economic nature, with the whole set in a large English-style park. The main entrance to the building is on the west facade, secondary/auxiliary on the north and south.
The history of the building dates back to 1513, when a Renaissance castle was built on the site of a medieval fortress. The ground plan of the four-wing building with a closed atrium has three floors above ground, a residential attic and a partial basement. It belonged to the Czech nobility until 1626, and then it became the property of the Austrian nobility, who owned it until 1945. The post-war years were characterized by a variety of uses, from a local museum, gallery to a boarding school. Since 1984, the castle and the adjacent park have been the property of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, when the last large-scale reconstruction, which already solved the state of disrepair of the building, began around 1986 to adapt the building to a castle hotel, which began operations in 1994. Given that the previous the construction modifications were appropriate for their time and used technologies of poor quality, the situation again reached the point in about 2015 when the building required another revision. The project developed in 2016 (Penta projekt s.r.o.) included four stages of construction modifications, which primarily focused on layout and construction modifications on the 1st floor and 1st floor level, revision of internal wiring and installations on the other floors, complete replacement of the window coverings of the entire building and insulation of the roof structure associated with the replacement of worn-out roofing. After obtaining a building permit for partial reconstruction, in 2018, the investor proceeded to rework the already completed project by another designer (Archina design s.r.o.), in the framework of which the previous proposed stages were merged into one and the building plan was expanded into the overall general reconstruction of the entire building. In 2019, the completed project was again returned to the original designer (Penta projekt s.r.o.) for the purpose of processing a technical review of the completed works, especially in the context of the requirements of the HZS, historic preservation and also due to the complete reworking of the interior project, which in its originally processed form no longer satisfied the user. The final combination of all three projects resulted in a four-star boutique conference hotel linked by design to the writer Franz Kafka, who lived in Třešť between 1900 and 1907, and whose handwriting and illustrations were reflected in the graphic design of the castle - all of this while preserving the historically valuable elements of the building.
The layout solution essentially took over and only locally revised the functional scheme established in the eighties/nineties of the last century, with the adjustments primarily focused on removing operational collision points. On the 1st floor, the operation of the castle restaurant was maintained, with the addition of a lobby bar. The operational block of the castle kitchen was merged into a logical unit with the background of the hotel staff and equipped with the latest gastro technology, enabling the hotel to provide top-quality services in gastronomy. An integral part of the entrance floor is also the new reception with the facilities for its staff, the entrance elevator hall and the offices of the hotel management. The floor of the building, as in the past, belongs to a system of large and small halls enabling to meet a wide range of requirements of congress tourism with the main hall for up to 120 people. The third and fourth floors above ground (residential attic) are reserved for a total of 32 rooms in the suite, deluxe and superior categories with a total capacity of 63 beds, supplemented by a small wellness area on the 3rd floor.
STRUCTURAL AND MATERIAL SOLUTIONS
The vertical load-bearing structures of the historic building are formed on the 1st floor and 1st floor of the original stone masonry, transitioning to brickwork on the upper floors. The horizontal supporting structures are original/arched on the entrance level, on the 2nd floor and 3rd floor, apart from a few historic vaulted lounges, they are already made of modern Hurdis ceramic plates. The roof, partly modern, is equipped with a residential attic with dormers in the direction of the less important facades. The roofing consists of dark stencils based on cement fiber, supplemented with tinsmithing details made of copper sheet, which is also used in the form of roofing on the complex shape of the four corner mines and one main tower. Internal dividing structures were made of P+D ceramic blocks, on the higher floors from SDK. The exterior fillings of the openings were replaced with completely new ones with a historicizing structure, the interior ones were replaced with new ones, and they were reconditioned to be operationally and visually acceptable. Part of the assignment was also a stratigraphic survey of the plasters with an effort to preserve the original solution as much as possible in places where the historical assemblage was assumed. The interior finishes respect the historical character of the building and at the same time the new design style of the hotel.
|Středisko společných činností AV ČR, v.v.i., Praha
|Středisko společných činností AV ČR, v. v. i., Praha
|Ing. arch. Martin Franěk, PENTA PROJEKT s.r.o., Jihlava
|Ing. arch. Ivo Nahálka, ARCHINA Design s.r.o., Praha
|Ing. Viktor Šlapal, PENTA PROJEKT s.r.o., Jihlava
|Ing. Jiří Šiklar, ARCHINA Design s.r.o., Praha
|Podzimek a synové s.r.o., Třešť